Monday, June 20, 2011

Cannes Lions Day 2

Day two of the festival once again blew me away. I can already tell everyday will get better and better. First of all I think the number of people in attendance has already doubled.
I found myself throughout the day hearing the most creative and inspiring ads that I actually got chill bumps on numerous occasions. Some of the most inspiring was BBDO’s campaign to raise awareness of global warming where 1 billion people turned off their lights for an house to show their support for global warming efforts.
The capacity of the creative thinking and innovation that I saw today takes away all of my initial hesitations about the advertising industry. From what I saw advertising is evolving to meet the consumer on a personal level. Advertising is raising awareness for serious issues, giving back to the communities, and making a difference in the world. I think the perception of advertisers will dramatically change and advertisers will lose the negative connotations of being untrustworthy, arrogant, assholes into a very approachable industry that is looking to better themselves and the products they promote.
This way of thinking came from all of the seminars, workshops, and award shows I attended today:
The first seminar I went to today was the BBDO worldwide with Richard Dunmall and Simon Bond called Your Next Billion. It was awesome of course!
The lecture was extremely organized and easy to follow. The speakers talked about how to capitalize in a multi screen world breaking them down by TV, PC, Mobile, and tablet. They discussed how each screen has a personality and connects to people in different ways. A TV is a realiable friend, A PC is a sage that guides you and answers all your questions like an older sibling, a mobile is your lover you can’t live without, and the tablet is a wizard that brings all other screens together.
They showed different ads with content relevant to each screen emphasizing that if you use the screens content wisely your next billion dollars.
The Kraft foods with Malcolm Gladwell was interesting and thought provoking but had nothing to do with Kraft foods as a brand which was disappointing. His message was all about military taticts and how being third is the best position to succeed. His theory is that number one in the innovator, number two is the developer, and number three is the implementer. He was an excellent speaker and a very brilliant man.
I went to my first workshop today! The mindscapes workshop was very intense and I met a guy from Czech and a lady from Austria. They were both CEO’s in their advertising company’s and very interesting people. He discussed very creative ways of thinking including cause to brand awareness in a Doritos and slow dancing campaign in Argentina which was awesome.
His way of thinking and discussing advertising will for sure shape the future of advertising in the future.
The Microsoft advertising tour was awesome my favorite was the Samsung touch screen table that is completely interactive will change the way companies do business in stores dramatically. It will also allow collaborative thinking to be so fun and easy.
I also went to an awards show for the PR, Promo and Activation, and Direct. The awards show was so awesome and every ad they showed gave me chill bumps. I loved the experience and I can not wait for more Cannes Lions experiences the rest of the week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment